Sunday, February 20, 2011

Painting my world white!

It's no secret that I love white furniture - I think it looks so clean and fresh.  However, I had very dark furniture in my dining room.  I was given a matching sofa table and dining room suite by my Mom about 6 years ago.  It is oak with a walnut finish on it.  I know she wouldn't be happy about it being painted but I figured that since I had it for several years it was now mine to do with it what I pleased, right?!  With her sort of blessing I decided to start off painting the sofa table white. 

After looking at lots of blogs that seem to be able to do furniture painting and gourmet cooking all in an afternoon I figured I could too!  Except it didn't work out that way for me.  Don't you hate when that happens?  I had some major SLS - more on that in a separate post!

We used Ben Moore Aura paint that one blogger in particular recommended because it was SO great.  Well in my opinion it was a complete disaster.  It is like applying liquid plastic.  You get ONE opportunity to put it on - meaning that you put it on your paint brush and then on the project you don't get a chance to feather it or blend it.  Heaven forbid if you tried to blend it out as it just rolled off like glue.  Not so cool.  I really thought that I/we could bang this off in a couple hours.  Well let's just say that it took a lot longer.


Getting ready for a makeover!

Look at the lovely brass strip - but the wicker will look lovely white!

And here is the finished and much improved (in my opinion only, Mom)!




No comments: